Wikipedia

Search results

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

January 08, 2013 I Never Will Marry sung by Joan Baez

"I Never Will Marry" sung by Joan Baez
Traditional Ballad with roots as far back as the civil war.

I think this old black and white video taken in some unnamed dimly lit coffee house is absolutely priceless, and I don't know if this is the native sound or it has been enhanced somehow along the way, but it is phenomenal.

The version of "I Never Will Marry" I was exposed to , was subtitled "The Damsel's Lament" and appeared on a 1960 LP by "The Brothers Four" on their eponymous first album. 

I wonder where the heck this album came from. I know I didn't have any money to buy it, so it must have been purchased by one of my older siblings. 

I think I wore the grooves out of that record playing it continuously on the monstrous piece of furniture we called our record player, Am/Fm radio and shoe polisher.

The Brothers Four were contemporaries of the Kingston Trio, and since I did not have access to any Kingston Trio LP's, I like the Brothers better.

No comments:

Post a Comment